I challenged my boyfriend to make a really good meal for himself and he decided to go for American meatloaf with homemade BBQ-sauce. He was so enthusiastic about the recipe he found that he literally obliged me to prepare it too.
After making the meatloaf myself and discovering how absolutely delicious it was (my flatmate is a witness), I decided this blog could use a category ‘100% American recipes`. So here we are. With the best recipe to start: American meatloaf & homemade BBQ-sauce! Indulge!
Preparing time: 30 min
Time (with baking: 1h 20 min)
- 500 gr minced meat of beef & pig
- 1 onion, chopped in small pieces
- 1 heaping tablespoon Whole Grain Mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 6 Salt Crackers, crushed into crumbs (you can find those in Delhaize in the appetizer section)
- 1 package of Bacon (+- 7 slices)
- 8 tablespoons homemade BBQ-sauce
- 24 tablespoons of Dark Brown Sugar (yes, it’s a lot but well worth it!)
- 20 tablespoons of Ketchup
- 8 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 8 tablespoons Water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
How to prepare the BBQ-sauce
You need to make this BBQ-sauce first, because it’s used in the meatloaf too. The recipe is basically very simple:
- Mix everything in a bowl & stirr well
- Keep refrigerated
How to prepare the meatloaf
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and fold up edges making a dam to catch the drippings/fat.
- In a large bowl, combine the minced meat, onion, BBQ-sauce, mustard, seasoning and cracker crumbs.
- With you clean hands mix until combined and then form into a 9×5 loaf.
- Wrap in bacon, brush with barbecue sauce and slide it into your preheated oven for 1 hour. Poor BBQ-sauce over it once in a while so it doesn’t burn of caramelization.
Serve and indulge with friends!